Translate

Sunday, 12 April 2015

Swapbox for CampNaNoWriMo - Part 1


After losing a bit of motivation early this year I felt that I needed some kind of acknowledged commitment to actually persuade (or more rather guilt trip) me into doing something.
Which means that whilst my last set of craft goals were not met, the list itself was still adhered to, and I found myself reading and writing more often.

I also have since joined in with the CampNaNoWriMo fun of writing 500 words a day: it might not sound a lot but it is for me and trying to keep to the routine is a good challenge.
They also have a swap box where they match you up with a buddy and you try to create them a 'survival package'. you get a list of their likes/dislikes and I was very glad to get a friendly match up with similar interest so it was like making up a package that I would want myself.
The themes I chose to work with were:

Cats
Horses
Anime
Pokemon
Music/piano
Noveling memorabilia
Colours: Black, Violet, Red & Green

And the things to steer clear were:
Lavender (the scent)
Skulls
Colours: Pink & any Neon



For a start I knew that an arty Friend would be better suited than me for something in the Anime realm and sure enough he was happy to create a wonderful piece of artwork using the info and I soon had a base from which to begin.

Anime black & violet kitty by Alexander Stephen aka GreyScaleAlex


He also gave me a copy free from signature so I could make up a notebook with a printed copy.

First I covered the notebook in purple shimmer sticky back paper. Then I used Sizzix Framelits Die Set to cut out the print and also arches in green & black to add a kind of shadow effect. And also one in plastic to cover the design (which also made getting a decent photo a bit harder)



 The green outline was made using one my favourite craft items:
 Liquid pearls in key lime




For the embellishment I added an Emily Strange button, a Hello Kitty bead and a green star bead made by Jodysbeads (who also sells some really nice crafting beads if you want to check her Etsy shop out). I threaded these on some purple wire and attached them through a hole made with a mini star punch.


I also used some great kitty washi tape (that I had been wanting to use for a while) to cover the spine and also to add a note inside the cover to attribute the artist.


My next thoughts went out to some stationary that I could customize and I was very happy to still have some musical note washi tape from Joe & Flo that I used to cover some pencils, eraser & sharpener.


And since I didn't have a piano die cut then I decided just to use the black and white theme to create a type of music hall stationary holder using a Sizzix bird house die I already had.



The side figures were actually Victorian carolers but I think they matched well with the theme, and the side roof was pressed with an embossing folder.


The pinwheel at the front was made from paper from a copy of @CraftsellerMag and a black & white dotty button  


These can be made with or without a die. To hand make I use my scoring board from @craftsbeautiful & had previously watched this tutorial from CraftsDotCupCake.

Once everything was how I wanted and dried fully, it was wrapped with cellophane & tied with a ribbon, brab & hand cut musical note.


I just hope this lasted the postal journal.



Then I moved onto the next idea which was an quote jar, because of course we all need a bit of inspiration whilst we are attempting to write. I also had a writers ink die set awaiting a use too.
For the quotes I put together some pages of quotes from goodreads.com that I liked the sound of and set about staining some paper with tea. 


I probably should have used coffee for a darker look but we had already had a conversation about not liking coffee so I didn't want to risk the smell still lingering. After I had a few dried I began the lengthy task of trying to tear the pieces without tearing the words but not wanting them too straight. 


They also really dry your hands out tearing and rolling up so i made sure i put some hand cream in the swap box too. But each one was rolled into a scroll ready to be housed.


Initially I was going to cover a jar with some Shakespeare quotes and attach a Quill to the front however the one I had ordered did not arrive in time so I had to change my ideas. Instead I made use of some fabric paper by Madame Payraud and fitted around an metal container finished off with string.


At the  front I attached a die cut ink well & nib in black gloss card


And then had an idea to add an extra gift inside this jar as a reward for achieving our goal.

We shall keep the contents a surprise for now though.
The mystery parcel was placed at the bottom and covered with material so it sits under the scrolls.



When the scrolls were added I secured them with some white netting and twine but I forgot to take the picture ... oops


For the horse theme I had used a photo supplied by +Hels but taken (so he reliably informed me) by her partner Rob. Which I wanted to use to decorate a notepad. I didn't have a medium circular die to cut out the green shimmer sticky paper, so there is more paper and less picture than I would have liked but I do have some circles on order now so maybe next time.


Fabric washi tape(can you tell that washi tape is my very favourite craft item yet) was used to create a border and also a tab to lift the cover.




The wish stamp was a free gift from papercrafter magazine stamped out using Ranger archival ink in jet black.

Also I knew a sugar supply would be needed for that extra push during late night writing surges so I added in some sweets for an emergency.


I still have some other things added to the box but I think (looks at length of post) that this post is going to need a bit of a split.




Image source: And Sew We Craft